Wee Vicki, Wee V, Sweet Hammer, Highland Hammer
State College PA
Vicki moved from Scotland to Pennsylvania in 2008, where she was convinced by the endurance-hungry State College cycling community to start racing 100 mile mountain bike races. She quickly climbed the rankings of the National Ultra Endurance (NUE) series with multiple top 5 finishes, and an impressive win at the 2011 Wilderness 101.
In early 2012, Vicki was sidelined by a training crash which prevented her from competing in some of her favorite races. She thankfully managed to bounce back, and with two 2nd place finishes and one 4th place NUE finish, she finished fourth in the NUE series overall.
This season, Vicki hopes to race cross country races in the USA and UK, where she will get married in June 2013. Since she won’t walk down the aisle and become a US citizen in time for US Mountain Bike Nationals, she is aiming to race British National Championships instead. She is excited to be racing some new races this year, including some of the East Coast ProXCTs. She will keep her endurance self honest and race the Trans-Sylvania Epic, along with the local NUE race, the Wilderness 101.
Vicki is forever thankful to be surrounded and supported by such a wonderful group of people and sponsors. Being part of such a dynamic group of women, including some of the best racers in the USA, is something she believes to be really special.
- 2nd 2012 Wilderness 101 (NUE)
- 2nd 2012 Hampshire 100 (NUE)
- 4th 2012 NUE series overall
- 1st 2011 Wilderness 101 (NUE)
- 1st 2011 and 2010 Iron Cross
- 1st 2011 PA State Champion
- 3rd 2011 Transylvania Epic stage race
- 3rd 2010 Mohican 100 (NUE)
- BSc in Microbiology from Glasgow University, Scotland
- PhD on the evolutionary consequences of vaccination in malaria from Edinburgh University, Scotland
- Post-doctoral researcher at Penn State for 3 years in malaria
- Currently a post-doc at Penn State researching the influence of contact networks for flu transmission in schools